Re: imap process not running

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: imap process not running
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:13:42 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> [ I'm using the Emacs-CVS code, running on a GNU/Linux system using an
>   IMAP/SSL connection using the `openssl' executable.  ]
>
> Every once in a while, Gnus complains that the imap process is not running.
> Usually it automatically restarts it behind my back, but occasionally it
> burps instead.
>
> The error I looks like the attached backtrace.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error <something like "imap process is not
> running">)
>   process-send-string(#<process imap> "2442 UID FETCH 3355:3364 (UID
> RFC822.SIZE BODY BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Subject From Date Message-Id
> References In-Reply-To Xref To Newsgroups)])

It seems a call to process-status could be added to avoid the error.

However, Gnus/nnimap is supposed to check whether the server is alive
before attempting to use it, and that code call process-status.  So a
proper solution may be to track down what Gnus/nnimap operation it is
that call the backend unconditionally, and fix that, then the server
would be automatically re-opened as well.

I can try to find to work on adding the process-status call in
imap.el, to avoid the error, but depending on error propagation, it
may not be sufficient.  It will take a while, though, so if you or
someone want to look into this, that would be appreciated...

You might want to test with GnuTLS instead of OpenSSL too, tls.el
might be more reliable.

Thanks.