Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:53:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi.

Eli Zaretskii said:

> I don't know.  How about if the OP tells us how much time it takes for
> the tooltip to pop up, and what machine is that?

I'm not the OP but using Miles Example and C-x C-e'ing it seems fast
enough and takes about half a second on an P4 2,4GHz running XP.

   (x-show-tip
    (propertize "*** hello ***"
                'face '(variable-pitch :foreground "green"
                                       :background "steelblue"
                                       :height 3.0)))

I'd like to provide some findings regarding the strange focus
handling:
emacs -q --no-site-init
C-x 2
C-x b bla       (make it easy to recognise the two frames)
put the mouse on the toolbar to create a popup works fine.
Alt-Tab       (using XP to switch frames)
put the mouse on the toolbar to create a popup will NOT work right.
              (i do not even see the popup but the first frame with
              the *scratch* buffer pops up while the second with the
              bla buffer still has input focus.
              Maybe it is the second frame with the bla buffer that
              pops-under??? if this is possible..)

Now try doing the same thing but using C-x 5 o to switch the frames will
cause the popup to work just fine.  Does C-x 5 o some thing special
compared to Alt-tab?

Maybe this will help someone..

Stephan
--