Re: make-network-process on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: make-network-process on w32
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:15:33 +0000

Guy Gascoigne - Piggford <address@hidden> writes:

> Can anyone confirm that make-network-process actually works on
> NT. I've started looking at fixing emacsclient so that it works on
> Windows since I made the mistake of volunteering before realising just
> how little time I have :)

It only works for TCP and UDP sockets, not for local, though I'm not
sure what the below should give (the service looks like its for local
address family, but the docs suggest that (vector 127 0 0 1 9999)
should define an IPV4 address. I'm also not sure what sentinal's are
for and whether Windows supports them.

> (setq server-process
>       (make-network-process
>        :name "server"
>        :local (vector 127 0 0 1 9999)
>        :server t
>        :noquery t
>        :service (expand-file-name server-name server-socket-dir)
>        :sentinel 'server-sentinel
>        :filter 'server-process-filter
>        :coding 'raw-text
>        ))

Try something like:

(setq server-process
      (make-network-process
       :name "server"
       :host "127.0.0.1"
       :service 9999
       :server t
       :noquery t
       :sentinel 'server-sentinel
       :filter 'server-process-filter
       :coding 'raw-text
       ))

> This actually works fine on Linux, but on NT the CPU pegs at 100%.
> I'm assuming that it's broken, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

It should give an error rather than going into an infinite loop.