Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:16:05 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-02-14) writes:
>
>> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hmmm; here's a simple example:
>>>
>>>    (x-show-tip
>>>     (propertize "*** hello ***"
>>>             'face '(variable-pitch :foreground "green"
>>>                                    :background "steelblue"
>>>                                    :height 3.0)))
>>
>> I have not been using x-show-tip directly ever but merely help-echo
>> properties, but that should make no difference.
>
> I just saw those tooltips the first time in my life by enabling
> tooltip-mode and hovering with the mouse pointer over some menus
> generated by AUCTeX.  If one is used to native GTK tooltips, the ones
> generated by Emacs look really awkward.

Uh what?  Tooltips are enabled by default.  At least I get them also
with -q -no-site-file.  The customization buffer says, however,

    This is a customization buffer.
    `Raised' buttons show active fields; type RET or click mouse-1
    on an active field to invoke its action.  Editing an option value
    changes the text in the buffer; invoke the State button and
    choose the Set operation to set the option value.
    Invoke Help for more information.

    Operate on everything in this buffer:
     Set for Current Session Save for Future Sessions
     Reset Reset to Saved Erase Customization   Finish

    Tooltip Mode: Hide Toggle  on (non-nil)
       State: this option has been changed outside the customize buffer.

Which would appear rather wrong, as it would mean that you could not
customize tooltips off even if you wanted to.

How comes that your Emacs behaves differently than mine?  Have you
explicitly disabled tooltips, or am I just being crazy in some manner
again?