RE: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:07:54 -0800

            >     If it implies reading from the file, this could
            >     be used to load values from a diffent custom-file
            >     (to see what they are) before actually using them.
            >
            > No way to do that has yet been proposed. S=>F means
            > to get the values from the  custom-set* in the user's
            > .emacs (custom file). There is currently no way to
            > designate a different library to use as the source of
            > `saved' settings.

           M-: (setq custom-file "X")
           M-x customize
           do some editing
           save (into X)
           M-: (setq custom-file "Y")
           get (from ?)

           Question is "from X" or "from Y"?

       Good point. I would think it should be Y.

    Absolutely not. `(setq custom-file "Y")' means that you want Custom to
    _write_ to Y.  If you want Y to be read you have to load Y...
    If you want Y to be your Custom file, write: (setq custom-file "Y")
    (load custom-file) in your .emacs, as the docstring of `custom-file'
    recommends.

The question was about "getting" values from a custom file without loading
that file. You are confirming, I guess, that there is no way to change
custom-file for purposes of get-but-do-not-load.