Re: New problem with pcl-cvs and generic-mode.el

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: New problem with pcl-cvs and generic-mode.el
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:04:16 -0500

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> Since a recent rebuild of Emacs, I have run into a new problem.  The
> backtrace is:

Unbelievably, after sending this message, I was able to gain some
insight.  smerge-ediff (smerge-mode.el) presumes that major modes can
always be invoked with no arguments, but generic-mode requires a mode
type.  I can't understand why this is failing now, as that assumption
appears to be 5-6 years old.  As a workaround I changed jam-mode.el to
do

  (setq major-mode 'jam-mode) ;; workaround for strange emerge interaction

when jam-mode is initialized.  But I can't tell if this is really the
"right" fix.  Advice appreciated; thanks in advance.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting