Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:16:20 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous message:

   After Emacs 21.4 is out we could try to make sure that those lines
   basically never will appear, by trying to eliminate the (unfortunately
   numerous) situations that give rise to it.

Actually, unlike what I said in a previous message, this would not
eliminate the warnings due to user customizations in .emacs.  But I
emphasized the wrong thing in the quote above.  The important thing is
not to eliminate "Set outside of Custom" statements _as a goal in its
own right_.  The important thing (for after emacs 21.4) is to make sure
that people can safely customize options like `find-file-hook',
`completion-ignored-extensions' and many others, through Custom,
which they can currently not do.

Sincerely,

Luc.