Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom file should askforconfir

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom file should askforconfirmation
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:11:45 +0000 (UTC)

    I'm gonna start wondering when the FSF moved to Wall Street ...

Good point.  I never thought of that.  Over all, on further
investigation, the interface needs more work, not just some rewording.

Using `emacs -Q' from 26 Jan 2005,

I use

    M-x customize-face RET secondary-selection RET

and change the face background from yellow to red
and the press the `Save for Future Sessions' button.

(By the way, where does an `emacs -Q' save settings, since it does not
load a .emacs file.  Does it create one?  If not, does the button fail
to save but not show a message telling this?  If so, this is bug
zero.)

When I the press the `Save for Future Sessions' button, the sample
turns red, as expected.

I then press the `Erase Customization' button, the sample turns yellow
as expected, but the `Background' attribute is not ticked and does not
show yellow.  This is bug one.

Bug two occurs when I then press the `Reset to saved' button:  nothing
happens, even though I had saved a new value, a red background.

Then I tick the `Background' attribute.
Bug three:  it shows `black' instead of yellow.

I change the `black' to `green' and press the `Save for Future
Sessions' button.  The sample turns green, as expected.

Bug four:  unfortunately, when I then press the `Reset to saved'
button, the sample does not turn red as it should, but stays green.

Bug five:  I then press the `Erase Customization' button with the
mouse over the `m' of the word `Customization', but nothing happens
the first time.

Fortunately when I press the `Erase Customization' button the second
time, the sample turns yellow as expected.  I am not sure this is a
bug, but it has happened with three different instances of `emacs -Q'.

Moreover, my mouse button presses normally work as expected.  For
example, when I press mouse button on the tick box for `Background',
it always works the first time.

In any event, the message for `Erase Customization' is OK:

    Un-customize all values in this buffer.

This is good news.

Unless fixed however, the name of the button `Reset to Saved' is
misleading, since it does not reset a face to a saved value after
un-customizing it.  This is bug six.

Moreover, it looks to me that `Set for Current Session' is not a
`Save' of any sort, either.  I have been unable to `Reset to' the
previously saved value after setting a value for a current session.
This is bug seven.

All in all, the interface is highly confusing.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8