Re: Some xterm-256color face colors too bright?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some xterm-256color face colors too bright?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:25:27 +0200

> From: stktrc <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:07:59 +0200
>
> The default colors of some faces become very bright, bordering on
> too bright to be readable, when using an xterm-256color terminal
> with light background (correctly detect in frame-background-mode).
> Such faces are for example font-lock-string-face and
> compilation-warning-face.

If you type "M-x customize-face RET font-lock-string-face RET", what
color name do you see in the Custom buffer?

The default color for that face on light-background displays with more
than 88 colors is "RosyBrown".  I cannot see how this could be so
bright as to annoy you.  Could it be that the background color is
actually the problem (Emacs doesn't touch the background color in a
non-windowed session, it uses the color that it found)?

You might also start a windowed Emacs session with a light background
and compare the colors for that face in the two sessions, both for
background and foreground colors.  If you do that, what do you see?

> I guess that this is not related to the individual face selections,
> but rather to the algorithm by which colors are mapped onto XTerms
> colors.  Any hints on which parts of Emacs to look in to tune this?

The code that does it is in lisp/term/xterm.el.  But I don't think
that code is to blame: all it does is register the 256 colors with
their RGB values, which cannot possibly cause such problems.