Re: highlight with mouse then shouldn't need kill-ring-save?

From: Peter Heslin
Subject: Re: highlight with mouse then shouldn't need kill-ring-save?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:36:32 +0000 (UTC)

On 2005-01-28, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I'm not sure if that's really what people expect.  The region is often used
>  for reasons unrelated to copy/kill/....  E.g. to "undo" only in the region,
>  or to comment out a chunk of text, or ...

Yes, but if you interrupt your undo or commenting out between the
first step of marking the text and the second step of performing the
undo/commenting action, in order to interact with some other
application, then it's entirely likely that that interruption has
something to do with the text you have just marked, but hesitated to
act on.

>  Overwriting some other X selection in those cases may not be what
>  people want.

Would it be possible to overwrite the X selection only so long as the
mark is active, and restore the previous value when it's deactivated?
(Performance considerations aside ...)

Peter