Re: offer to save customizations on exit?

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: offer to save customizations on exit?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:42:54 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Other opinions?

The analogy breaks down in two important ways:

1) It makes sense to make temporary changes to your editing
   environment.  Making temporary changes to files has no obvious use.

2) Whenever you customize an option, you have to decide if it should
   be temporary or permanent.  The two both require an explicit
   action, namely activating a button.  When you change a buffer you
   make no such explicit decision.

I don't want to be asked when I leave if I want to save the current
value of case-fold-search or debug-on-error, which are two option I
set often.

But I think it would be a good idea to remove (or hide by default) the
UI for making temporary changes.  It would make the UI simpler, and I
think the trend is that way: To make options persistent by default.