Re: list-colors-display: display all color names

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: list-colors-display: display all color names
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:05:33 +0900

> > What's impractical about it?  You can compute 12 hex digits as
> > practically as you can 3 or 6.
>
> Impractical because the most widespread format is #RRGGBB which
> compactly encodes any of 16-million colors.

The 6-digit version is a good default, but that doesn't mean that the
code shouldn't optionally generate other formats when necessary (when
the actual RGB values dictate).  [I have no idea why you used the word
"impractical", it doesn't seem to make any sense in this context --
something is impractical if it's too expensive to be justified by the
benefits, but as was pointed out, it's not at all expensive to
generate other formats, though the benefits may be slight.]

-Miles