Re: dashes and non-breaking spaces

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dashes and non-breaking spaces
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:46:45 +0200

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes, it is useful to make these codes visible in edit modes; displaying
> annoying

I agree.  It is useful only in editing modes.  This is like highlighting
trailing whitespace which is useful only for writable files, i.e. where
whitespace deletions can be saved.  There should be a user option
specifying the predicate to activate the mode, with the default value
like `buffer-read-only'.

> Using blue for the backslash is also arguable; a single slash in blue is
> hard to distinguish from the surround text in black.  In the past I used
> an IndianRed underscore for the no-breaking space.

Yes, blue is one of the most unsuitable colors.  It seems everyone already
agreed on the following colors for escape glyphs:

(defface escape-glyph
  '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
     :foreground "dark red")
    (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
     :foreground "tan1")
    (((class color) (min-colors 8))
     :foreground "red"))
  "Face for characters displayed as ^-sequences or \\-sequences."
  :group 'basic-faces)

If these colors are unsuitable for no-break spaces then perhaps
a better face is `trailing-whitespace', or maybe it will require
a new face.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/