Re: Bootstrap shouldn't give up due to missing xrefs in the manual

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Bootstrap shouldn't give up due to missing xrefs in the manual
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:33:28 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   Does this patch eliminate the problem?

   *** Makefile.in      11 Nov 2004 09:58:10 -0500      1.298
   --- Makefile.in      30 Nov 2004 21:19:32 -0500
   ***************
   *** 719,727 ****
     # put the info files in $(srcdir),
     # so we can do ok running make in the build dir.
     info: force-info
   !    (cd man; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info)
   !    (cd lispref; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info)
   !    (cd lispintro; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info)
     dvi:
           (cd man; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) dvi)
           (cd lispref; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) elisp.dvi)
   --- 719,727 ----
     # put the info files in $(srcdir),
     # so we can do ok running make in the build dir.
     info: force-info
   !    -(cd man; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info)
   !    -(cd lispref; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info)
   !    -(cd lispintro; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info)
     dvi:
           (cd man; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) dvi)
           (cd lispref; $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) elisp.dvi)

For me that gives the same problem with a "missing separator" as your
other patch.  Because it apparently worked for somebody else,
something must be going locally wrong.  I will try to figure out what.
So the problem with your other patch I replied about previously might
be local too.

I can not check out the effects of the patch above because it somehow
breaks bootstrapping for me.  (Again, probably just a local problem.)

But how are people going to notice after your patch that there were
problems building a manual?  Hopefully that will still be completely
apparent and impossible to overlook and hopefully people will still
point it out to emacs-pretest-bug or emacs-devel.  Otherwise, this
could, in my opinion, be a step backward.

Sincerely,

Luc.