Re: address@hidden: Display of gb2312 in `emacs -nw']

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Display of gb2312 in `emacs -nw']
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:26:22 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>       I'll check if we can run
>     pre-write-conversion safely at that time.  Please wait for a
>     while.

> Please respond to this message when you've had a chance to think about
> it and decide what to do.

> In general, running Lisp code from redisplay is safe nowadays.
> I looked at the callers of write_glyphs, and it seems to be safe
> to run Lisp code there.  I am not quite certain it is ok
> to get an error from there, but it looks safe.

Ok, I've just committed appropriate changes.  As
pre-write-conversion is called via safe_call, I think an
error in that function won't propagate to the main code.

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
> To reproduce:

> Save the following to a file `gb2312.txt' and start emacs in an UTF-8
> enabled xterm:

>   uxterm -font '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1' \
>     -e emacs -nw -Q gb2312.txt

As I don't have a proper font to be used with uxterm, I
tested the new code with mlterm under LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 and
confirmed that all subst-XXX.el are automatically loaded,
and thus encoding to utf-8 is done correctly.

Please try the latest CVS code.

As the change to term.c is rather big, it is better that
people test the the new code with -nw on various terminals
and encodings.  I think the new code is much faster unless
the encoding requires pre-write-conversion.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden