Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 02:03:09 -0500

    >     Hmm... what happens if you hit C-g while writing a file?
    > Before your change, nothing, I believe.

    Clearly, that's not the case.  C-g during the `write' (or at any other time
    for that matter) would cause a signal-handler to be called that processed
    the input.  This might either do a longjmp or just set quit-flag.

The signal handler would indeed run and set quit-flag, and return, but
the net effect on the code that writes the file was nil.

    BTW, is a 2MB file is currently written with a single call to `write'?

Sometimes it can be, I think; however, in general Fwrite_file can call
`write' many times.  However, there was no use of QUIT in and among
them.

    I always felt like there should be a way to force an immediate_quit, not
    only is `write'.  Maybe by hitting C-g three times in a row or something
    like that.

Hitting C-g twice activates the emergency escape, which is even more
drastic than that.  However, this feature is only active on ttys.

So what do you think of the following idea?