VM and SMTP on Mac OS 10.3

From: Catherine Infantino
Subject: VM and SMTP on Mac OS 10.3
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:48:34 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to sendmail via VM from my Mac.  I know just enough to be
dangerous...
I managed to get POP up and running, but I am having trouble with SMTP.

So far, I have downloaded sendmail.el and smtpmail.el and dropped them
into my current working emacs directory: /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp
The relavent bit of my .emacs is:

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you use `mail'
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ; if you use message/Gnus
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtpauth.earthlink.net")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "foobar.com")
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "foobar.com")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials  ; or use ~/.authinfo
      '(("smtpauth.earthlink.net" 25 "address@hidden" "password")))

With this stuff in place, I try to compose a message with 'm' and I get
the error:

Variable binding exceeds max-specpdl-size

I have milled through a pile of .emacs files, but I haven't been able to
piece anything together to make it work.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Catherine