Re: Window/buffer management in gdb-ui

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Window/buffer management in gdb-ui
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:30:05 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> I know that standard practice is to prefix such functions, in
> general, with gdb but this isn't really a gdb-related function. I
> felt that the occasional violation i.e one for the whole of
> gdb-ui.el, would not cause a problem, in practice, and may help
> prevent duplication with locally defined functions performing the
> same task.

Please don't.  It's been a long time ago, so I don't remember clearly,
but I recall a situation where a package defined a "standard" function
that later caused trouble because it was not quite compatible to the
"real" standard function (which appeared in Emacs after the package
was written).

When the standard function is later added to Emacs, you can always use
defalias on your side to avoid defining a second function.

WDYT?

Kai