RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:11:46 +0100

Andre Spiegel wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 12:04 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> If i have understood you right - there is currently no really
>> acceptable way (concering performance) to display in a file-browser
>> icons which always reflect the real (not heuristic) state of a file,
>> right?
>
> The only way to get this information is to call "cvs status", and that
> is indeed unacceptably slow if you do it for every display update.
> There might be a clever shortcut looking at the RCS master files if
> the repository is local, but we never thought it was worth the
> trouble.

I agree... but i have tested calling vc-recompute-state (vc-cvs-stay-local nil)
with local repositories - IMHO this is acceptable fast - but
unfortunatelly real local repositories will be seldom - at least in
real projects i assume - and running vc-recompute-state against
a repository in a LAN-network (an often case i think) is surely faster
then ageianst a remote-repository like at Sourceforge but probably
still to slow...for displaying the state in a file-browser...

> If you decide that vc-recompute-state would suit your needs after all
> (and your case is convincing :-) then please let me know and we can
> place it into vc-hooks.el (or autoload it).

IMHO it would be good if vc-recompute-state could be made an "official"
interface for packages which are interested in the VC-state of certain
files - IMHO vc-state and vc-recompute-state should have the same
specification and should be alternatives... This would great!

Then ECB (or the user of ECB :-) could decide if the access to its
repositories is fast enough to use `vc-recompute-state' with tha advantage
getting always the correct VC-state being display in the file-browser
of ECB or not (then vc-state will fit his needs...)

Thoughts?

Ciao
Klaus