Re: max-specpdl-size exceeded on "make recompile"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: max-specpdl-size exceeded on "make recompile"
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:57:42 -0500

> i'm ignorant of byte compiler internals, but am under the impression
> that generally compilation of defuns (such as is the case here) does
> not imply their evaluation.

Indeed.  But byte-compilation does execute macros and requires, so sometimes
it leads to such infinite recursions.

> that's one reason to discount possible vc-rcs.el bugginess.  another is
> that the upstream variant[1] of the code byte-compiles and executes w/o
> this error, if i (locally) bump `max-specpdl-size' to 1000.[2]

Ah, now that's more interesting: it's not an infinite recursion, it's only
a deep recursion.  Actually, it seems to be exceeding the default 600 by
just a tiny bit: it fails with 606 but succeeds with 607.

> of course, if you define buggy as "pushes the byte-compiler past its
> comfort level", then sure...

Indeed, it seems to be pushing it a tiny bit "too" far.
I'd suggest we bump the default to 1000.

        Stefan