Re: buff-menu.el header line

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: buff-menu.el header line
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:16:40 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   >  3. There may be more argument about deleting the line providing an
   >     intangible text property.  I always comment it out because its
   >     existence means I cannot use `C-n' (next-line) when point is in
   >     the header.  On the other hand, others may prefer only to use
   >     `C-f' (forward-char), which leaves the header line and its
   >     underlining.

   I don't particularly like `intangible', but the above suggests that a better
   solution is to fix C-n.

These are two different problems.  One is a (known but unfixed) bug
concerning line-move and the intangibility property.  The other is a
completely inappropriate use of the intangibility property, _regardless_
of that bug.

The use of the intangibility property in this instance is
inappropriate, because it has absolutely no benefit whatsoever to the
user and has several negative consequences.  One of the main reasons
to set `buffer-menu-use-header-line' to nil is to be able to move into
that text.  But this is exactly what the intangibility property wants
to prevent.  Why?  If the user does C-f at the beginning of a buffer,
it is with the purpose of moving to the right, not to move to the
third line.  The latter behavior is extremely surprising (and undesirable).

Sincerely,

Luc.