Re: Unknown option `--no-desktop'

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Unknown option `--no-desktop'
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:38:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi Robert.

Robert J. Chassell said:

> Right.  In fact, the `--no-desktop' option means that a desktop is
> loaded, contrary to the documentation.
>
> It also means, as separate issue, that even though I have specified
> `no desktop', I am asked about saving a desktop when I quit Emacs.
>
> Yes.  My understanding is that `Hairy startup options' (as the Emacs
> manual calls them) override .emacs files.
>
> There is a time issue:  if I were to load the .emacs before the
> --no-desktop option, I would expect *all* the desktop related
> functions to be turned off.  If I ran `M-x desktop-save' after first
> turning all the functions off, I would expect the functions to be
> autoloaded and the `desktop-save' function to be executed.

Well yes you are right. --no-desktop does not have any effect in your case
because of coding and timing.

--no-desktop is only honored once. When the file is loaded. In that case
desktop-save-mode does not get enabled. after that one test the string
"--no-desktop" is removed from the options list.

Maybe the fact that --no-deskop was given should be saved in a variable the
the desktop save functions test und only save when that variable is nil oder
where called interactively?

However i do not understand why you have some lines in you .emacs files that
cause the desktop to get saved. desktop.el should do that automaticly when
emacs  is killed..  Maybe you should just remove those lines.

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl