Re: Boostrap error

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Boostrap error
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:12:59 +0100

: things to do and Windows is not my preferred platform.  Besides, the
solution
: you are proposing only handles a special case, not the general case.

It was not my proposal, it was Stefan Monniers, but I liked it so I
corrected some errors in the code he himself did not have time to test. But
what do you mean with that it is a special case?

In cygwin you can change the prefix, it can be changed to any string. The patch only handles the default /cygdrive. I use /cyg myself. Also, only single letter mounts that corresponds to DOS drives are handeled (i.e. /d/src <=> d:/src). But cygwin lets you mount paths anywhere and multiple times. I mount d:/src under /usr/src, so these three paths go to the same directory:
  /cyg/d/src
  /d/src
  /usr/src

The possibilites are endless, so a simple regexp can not capture this in the general case.

:  If it
: where up to me, I'd let configure check if cygpath is usable, and if not,
: require that the user supply the dos path to configure
: (--dospath=c:/whatever/emacs) and use that for buildlisppath and lisp in
the
: makefiles for leim and lisp respectively.  But again, this is not my
platform
: of choice, so the ones working on this must do what they think is best.

Can you please explain what you mean more exactly? Are you using
configure.bat in the nt subdir? Or configure in the main dir? What is
dospath? Is it a proposal or does it exist?

Yes, I use configure.bat. Dos path is the path DOS/Windows programs use, like c:/windows.

This what I do:

cd /d/src/emacs-cygwin/nt
./configure.bat
make bootstrap lisp=d:/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp buildlisppath=d:/src/emacs-cygwin/lisp

The last part is something that could be simplified, either by trying to figure out the DOS path in configure.bat, or if that is not possible, require that the user gives it to configure, something like:

./configure.bat --dospath=d:/src/emacs-cygwin

I then would not have to type the path twice on the command line, configure.bat would add that last /lisp also and substitute this into leim/makefile and lisp/makefile. This works for any cygwin mount as long as the DOS path is correct.

        Jan D.