Re: DJGPP only dumps with USE_LISP_UNION_TYPE ??

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: DJGPP only dumps with USE_LISP_UNION_TYPE ??
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:42:19 +0200

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:28:18 +0100
>
> I checked the assembler output from gcc and it seems OK, the .comm
> directives for s1 to 4 are the same as for GNU/Linux.

Of course!  __align__ works in DJGPP, I tested it when LSB tags were
introduced.

> So either the assembler or linker is doing something bad.

They don't: DECL_ALIGN works on platforms other than XP.

> DJGPP also runs something called stubify after the linker, I don't
> know what it does, but it could also be responsible.

It isn't.  stubify simply prepends a small 2KB stub to the otherwise
COFF executable, since DOS and Windows don't know how to run COFF
images.  The stub is a DOS program that, when invoked, loads the COFF
image into memory, switches the CPU into 32-bit protected mode, and
then passes control to the entry point of the COFF image.

So stubify.exe cannot possibly break alignment of the COFF code.

I will take this problem (later today) with the other DJGPP developers
on the DJGPP developers' list and see what I come up with.