Re: easymenu.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: easymenu.el
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 06:14:48 -0500

    Since this downcase-change is recent, only recently changed programs can
    be affected and since we'd be getting back to Emacs-21.3 behavior, those
    program would fail under Emacs-21.3 as well.

Ok, I am convinced.  However, this means we should change all the
code in Emacs that defines menu bar menus the old-fashioned way,
to be compatible with the reverted easymenu.el.

    BTW, I've just installed a patch to easymenu that makes it look for
    menu-item *names* when looking up keymaps, so you should now be able to say
    (easy-menu-add-item nil '("File") ["foo" bar]) to add an entry "foo" in the
    "File" menu even though that menu's key name is `files'.  As can be guessed
    by the different spelling, this now works regardless of the actual
    definition of easy-menu-intern, so I (re-)propose the additional patch
below,

That's clever.  I guess the problem is solved now, and we don't
have to change other code.