Re: Don't change default-directory in gud.el?

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: Don't change default-directory in gud.el?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:29:17 +0100

    >> Currently, in gud.el, the default-directory of the GUD buffer gets set
    >> from the pathname (if any) of the program to be debugged. This is not
    >> consistent what happens if gdb is invoked from the command line, where
    >> the working directory remains unchanged.
    Stefan>
    Stefan> I think the problem is not so much about whether Emacs does or
    Stefan> doesn't do something, but about how much work is needed to get the
    Stefan> other behavior.  In the case of the chdir, it's actually
    Stefan> surprisingly difficult to undo the chdir, so I completely agree
    Stefan> that it should be removed.

Actually I think in most cases it's what the user wants, but since this
behavior has bothered me every once in a while, I've been using the following
modification for gud-common-init:

;; Set the dir, in case the buffer already existed with a different dir.
;;  (setq default-directory dir)
    (setq default-directory (or gud-default-directory dir))

with the following definitions for gud-default-directory:

(defvar gud-default-directory nil
  "*Default directory for debugging process.
Note that the directory must end with a '/'.")

(defun gud-set-default-directory (dir)
  "*Set a new default directory for debugger process."
  (interactive
   (list (read-file-name "GUD default directory: " nil default-directory t)))
  (if (file-directory-p dir)
      (message "%s" (setq gud-default-directory
                          (expand-file-name (file-name-as-directory dir))))
    (message "Directory '%s' does not exist")))

(defun gud-show-default-directory ()
  "*Show default directory for debugger process."
  (interactive)
  (message "GUD default directory: %s" gud-default-directory))

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
Subtlety is the art of saying what you think and
getting out of the way before it is understood.