Re: intern-soft, find-face/get-face, and facep for determining faces' de

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: intern-soft, find-face/get-face, and facep for determining faces' definedness
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:20:06 -0500

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 09:06:56PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> We also have truly anonymous temporary faces, which get
> garbage collected simply by dropping them on the floor, as they never
> get entered into any tables.

As an aside, I've long wanted to add anonymous faces to Emacs; a cursory
investigation suggests that simply allowing lisp `face vectors' to be used in
a few places (skipping the name->vector lookup) would actually work.  However
the huge amount of backward-compatibility hair in Emacs' face machinery
always makes such things a bit touch-n-go...

[I don't think the name lookup efficiency is actually much of an issue though;
my reason is more to avoid the necessity of naming faces.]

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.