Re: encrypt.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: encrypt.el
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:28:32 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> You're my main advisor on encryption; if you think that encrypt.el
>> does the right things, I would be glad to see it moved out of Gnus.
>> Doing this requires writing text for etc/NEWS and for the Lisp
>> manual.
>
> I can do that.  I am concerned that I don't have Emacs CVS access,
> though, in case I need to make changes to the code I'll be
> maintaining.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get Emacs CVS access if you're
maintaining a file there!

Note that if you change the file in Emacs CVS, those changes will go
into the Gnus v5-10 branch too, as "encrypt.el" is currently `the same
file' as "gnus-encrypt.el" (and more generally, since presumably Emacs
Gnus will be changed to use the new "encrypt.el", those changes also
will be propagated to the Gnus v5-10 branch).

So keeping this in mind, you could theoretically just do the opposite:
install your changes into the Gnus v5-10 and have them propagate to
Emacs CVS (and the Gnus CVS trunk) that way.  Because of the "gnus file
vs. non-gnus file" distinction, I would normally be more suspicious of
propagating big changes to a non-gnus file without some discussion, but
this could be relaxed if I know you're also the Emacs maintainer for
that file.

However, you probably need Emacs CVS access anyway, because surely some
Emacs files will use encrypt.el which aren't in the Gnus tree.

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin