Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:59:17 -0400

    Looks good to me, except I'm not sure what INFILE should do.

INFILE is a standard argument to call-process.
Perhaps the file name handler should be found on INFILE
instead of on default-directory.  The actual use in VC seems
to pass nil for that argument, so maybe the commands used do not
use their stdin.  If so, is it possible to pass some INFILE
that would cause the right handler to be chosen?

    I guess we could use the following convention: if it is a relative file
    name, then it's a file on the remote host, otherwise, it's a file on the
    local host that should be passed "manually" by reading the file in a buffer
    and feeding it via the stdin pipe.

What problem are you trying to solve with this suggestion?