Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 02:08:17 +0200 (CEST)

> "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I think there is something "wrong" in Xorg also.  It behaves exactly as
> > described in the bug report.  Andreas, do you have an unmodified Xorg,
> > with standard xkb maps and no xmodmap settings, and still manage to get
> > Meta on the "Windows"-key using altwin:meta_win (i.e. assigning Meta to
> > the "Windows"-key) as an option to xkb?
>
> What does altwin:meta_win do exactly in terms of modifier keys?  Actually
> I'm using a modified keymap with some modifier keys remapped: <LMTA> and
> <RMTA> are emitting Alt_L and Alt_R, resp., and <LALT> is changed to emit
> Meta_L (the unmodified map has them the other way round).

altwin:meta_win assignes Meta_L/R to the "Window"-keys (<LWIN> and <RWIN>,
default is Super_L/Multi_Key) and Meta_L/R is added to Mod4 (Mod1 is Alt_L/R).

Previously Mod4 was Super_L on <LWIN>, and when altwin:meta_win was set
Mod4 became Meta_L/R.

Now Mod4 is Super_L and Hyper_L on "fake" keys.  altwin:meta_win then
just adds Meta_L/R, so Emacs sees Mod4 as Hyper-Super-Meta.

If there is no need for these fake keys (I am not sure what they do),
you could set altwin:meta_win and then do

% xmodmap -e 'remove mod4 = Hyper_L' -e 'remove mod4 = Super_L'

and get the same behaviour as previous X versions.

I'm not sure why your modification works with Xorg, probably your Meta_L/R
are on a different modifier (Mod3 for example).  Or maybe your keymap
does not have them.

        Jan D.