Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:32:32 +0000 (UTC)

Rob Browning <address@hidden> wrote

   >     emacs-major-version
   >     emacs-minor-version
   >     emacs-tertiary-version

   FWIW this has also been called the "micro" version in other projects,
   i.e. emacs-micro-version.

That is OK with me.  It is not a big deal.

The reason I think in terms of `tertiants', is that the base of each
component in a version number may be different.

Dates and times use months, days, hours, minutes, seconds, and
(occasionally) tertiants.  These components are not all numbered in
base 12 (as they ought to be).  Whenever I think in terms of `micro',
and `nano', I think of components using the same base, like
microseconds and nanoseconds.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8