Re: portable implementation of load-average

From: Joe Buehler
Subject: Re: portable implementation of load-average
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:59:18 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

You probably want to use `call-process' here instead, so as to avoid running
`sh' (running `uptime' is already making your `load-average' much slower
than the C version, so I think it's important to try and limit the inflicted
pain).

Like I said, I'm not a LISP programmer -- it's all yours, feel free to
change what you want.

The only way I currently use it is as part of (display-time), so I don't
need any caching myself -- it runs once a minute as is.

BTW, is /usr/bin/uptime setgid 0 on those systems, or does it use some other
method to get the info (a method that Emacs could maybe use)?

It is not setgid for linux and solaris, it is setgid for the others.  Whether
emacs
works as is for linux and solaris I don't know, but I presume it does not
work for the other OS's -- definitely not for AIX 4.3.
--
Joe Buehler