Re: Gnus update

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus update
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:59:32 +0200

On Mon, Jul 26 2004, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> I did leave out a few XEmacs-specific files, though.

It seem to me that there are still some files weren't updated.  Some
time ago I wrote a shell script[1] that puts Oort Gnus into an Emacs
CVS tree.  When I apply it to gnus-5_10-branch, I get the following
differences:

,----[ M-x cvs-update RET ]
| In directory etc:
|               Modified                etc/gnus-pointer.xbm
|               Modified                etc/gnus-pointer.xpm

These have been modified in Oort Gnus.

|               Unknown                 etc/gnus-ref.tex

This is the Gnus Refcard.  To produce DVI and PS, `refcard.tex' and
`gnuslogo-refcard.eps' are required too.

|               Unknown                 etc/gnus.xbm

I don't know if this is required.

|               Modified                etc/gnus.xpm

Modified in Oort Gnus.

| In directory lisp:
| In directory lisp/gnus:
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/blink.pbm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/blink.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/braindamaged.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/cry.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/dead.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/evil.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/forced.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/frown.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/grin.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/indifferent.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/reverse-smile.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/sad.pbm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/sad.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/smile.xpm
|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/wry.xpm

These are files from etc/smilies (required to display graphical
smilies: :-( :-) ;-) :-| :-/ ...; see `smiley-regexp-alist').  I don't
know if all image formats are required.

|               Unknown                 lisp/gnus/time-date.el

The version from calendar/ doesn't have `time-to-number-of-days', but
I can't find any call to `time-to-number-of-days'.

The files tls.el, dig.el, dns.el from Gnus might be of more general
interest.  Maybe they should be placed in net/?

| In directory man:
|               Modified                man/emacs-mime.texi
|               Modified                man/gnus-faq.texi
|               Modified                man/gnus.texi
|               Modified                man/message.texi

Modified in Oort Gnus.

|               Unknown                 man/pgg.texi
|               Unknown                 man/sieve.texi
`----

New in Oort Gnus.

Other things that need to be done:

* The entries from GNUS-NEWS should be copied to etc/NEWS.
  - Where to put the items?
  - Replace "^**" by ***.
  - Remove items that aren't relevant for Emacs, e.g.
    "New make.bat for compiling and installing Gnus under MS Windows".

The above and maybe other items have been mentioned in an earlier
discussion[2].  (The discussion started on the Gnus list.  Later it
was Cc-ed to emacs-devel, too.)

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <URL:http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/gnus/Gnus-5-11.sh>

[2] <URL: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/55650>