Re: feature request

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: feature request
Date: 16 Jul 2004 11:09:58 +0200

Sun Yijiang <address@hidden> writes:

> I think if GNU Emacs can take a picture as its background, it will
> be very cooooooool.

In my opinion, there are so many usability and ergonomic issues with
Emacs that warrant work on them that it is rather unimportant to
bother with methods to make Emacs less efficient and ergonomic.

Since there is no apparent advantage except "coolness", and since
this involved catering with visibility issues and several displayed
things and X bandwidth and so on at the same time, I'd recommend just
keeping this is a branch for now.

In particular, I expect implementation of this to potentially clash
with implementing antialiased fonts in the buffer.  The latter feature
is far more important for daily work, so it would be my recommendation
to postpone even thinking about background image implementation until
we have antialiased font display, and only then check whether the
display code at _that_ time would permit background pictures.