Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:09:56 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> The problem is that all these files are mentioned in
> lisp/mh-e/ChangeLog, so it is very confusing not to find them, or have
> them in another directory.

I understand. I'll propose a workaround below.

>                                                         perhaps
> editing ChangeLog that is checked into the Emacs CVS would not be such
> a bad idea.

Having two versions of the same file seems like a bad idea to me. It
would cause initial work to write scripts to strip out entries for these
files and it would certainly break my scripts that ensure that Emacs
maintainers haven't modified MH-E files without my knowledge. Who knows
what other problems would ensue.

> Alternatively, perhaps consider adding mh-xemacs.el, README and
> MH-E-NEWS to lisp/mh-e anyway.  They shouldn't do too much harm, I
> think; etc/NEWS could say something like "for changes in MH-E see
> lisp/mh-e/MH-E-NEWS".

Since MH-E-NEWS has been in the etc directory since the dawn of man, I
don't think it should be moved unless its location was in violation of a
new general policy.

I think I have an idea that should satisfy your requirements.

I could create a lisp/mh-e/README.Emacs that would explain the
discrepancies. README.Emacs would explain that the directory is
maintained at SourceForge as a standalone package and therefore the
ChangeLog contains mention of files that are not needed and therefore
not found in the Emacs distribution. Having this file might not be such
a bad idea anyway since it could also explain that MH-E installs images
in lisp/toolbar and lisp/mail as well.

How does this sound to you?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD