Re: pbm backgrounds

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: pbm backgrounds
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:08:49 +0200

I did the conversion manually in GIMP, by turning off dithering when
setting a B&W palette.

I'm not familiar with this part of the GIMP (although I've used other
aspects of it). Would you be kind enough to go through the steps and
explicitly indicate the menu items and dialog settings you used. I
assume you started with the .xpm files? Thanks!

This refers to GIMP 2.  I think the menus have changed since 1.x, so
if you have that, you may have to look around a bit.

Open the xpm-file in GIMP.
Select: Image => Mode => Indexed
In the popup, select:
   Use Black and White (1-Bit) Palette
   No Color Dithering
Select Save As and save as *.xbm.  Just click OK on the dialog that
pops up (no XBM options choosen).
Use xbmtopbm to convert to pbm.

I actually saved as *.pnm and used xv, since I didn't have xbmtopbm on the
machine I was on at the time.  The results are identical though.

        Jan D.