Re: ECB

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: ECB
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:10:53 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

Could a couple of people please look at ECB, in http://ecb.sourceforge.net,
and tell me what you think of it?
I use it every day, and I find it useful.

Its purpose is similar to speedbar, but it seperates Directories, Files and Tags into separate buffers, which many people find easier to work with. It also has some extra buffers that do not have an equivalent in speedbar, such as History and can also embed speedbar in one of its navigation windows if you prefer speedbar but want to use ECB for some reason.

The biggest difference between ECB and speedbar is that speedbar always appears in a seperate frame (it can be forced into another frame, but it is not easy), whereas ECB has several layout options, AFAIK all of which use windows within the current frame. Many people are used to working in other programs within the same frame, so they may see this as an improvement over speedbar.