Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
Date: 01 Jul 2004 06:43:13 -0400

> In practice, people are going to do what we _ask_ them to do in
> INSTALL.CVS:

Somehow I doubt it, seeing how they can't even follow the two-lines that
say "don't post to gnu.emacs.help".

>     Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
>     update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
>     procedure:

>       $ ./configure

Shouldn't be necessary.

>       $ make
>       $ cd lisp
>       $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>       $ cd ..
>       $ make

Of course, we should strive to turn the above into just `make'.

> (Note however that for people with fast machines, running `make
> maintainer-clean' and `make bootstrap' is so fast that it is not even
> worth the trouble trying anything else.)

You must have really impressingly fast machines around then, because my
1 year old Opteron is very much too slow for
"make maintainer-clean bootstrap".

> Has anybody benefited sufficiently from the change in `make bootstrap'
> to compensate for all the time that many people are losing as a result
> of it?  I am inclined to believe that the change to `make bootstrap'
> should be reverted.

I think I have to agree. :-(

        Stefan