Re: Auto-revert on remote files: disabling timers temporarily?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Auto-revert on remote files: disabling timers temporarily?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:51:19 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>    In parallel to Kai, I've tried to find another solution. What about
>    disabling timers during execution of a Tramp file name function?
>
> With what intent?
>
> Only to restore auto-reverting of remote files?  If so, would that
> mainly be to help debug other problems or because there would appear
> to be a real need to revert remote files?

It's not for debugging. If you have a fair good link to the remote
host(s), auto-reverting works for remote files as well. But it must be
avoided that auto-reverting interrupts running Tramp actions.

Of course, it doesn't make any sense for slow links. So there should
be an option enabling/disabling auto-reverting for remote files, as
proposed by Kai.

> Sincerely,
>
> Luc.

Best regards, Michael.