Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:50:18 -0400

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 07:05:50PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > That sounds like an acceptable feature.  I don't think an empty
> > argument to M-% makes any other sense.
>
> I just wonder why I still have to type `RET'.  A query-replace action
> doesn't happen immediately; you still have to press `y', `n', etc.
> Thus I suggest, if possible, to omit the `RET'.

Because it (both the user-interface and the implementation) becomes much more
`magic' then -- C-s after a C-s makes sense because normal i-search enters
immediately into a `every character has an immediate but non-standard
effect', but after you type M-%, you just go into a normal minibuffer
prompt; there, hitting RET to get a default makes more sense.

Surely you don't repeat query-replace commands so often that `M-% RET' is
significantly harder to type than `M-% M-%'?

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....