"free variable" warning when compiling

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: "free variable" warning when compiling
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:58:39 -0400

I happened to have a free variable called "group" so I got this
warning when compiling:

spam.el:777:63:Warning: reference to free variable group

This was actually very confusing, because I looked for a variable
*group*, not *the* variable "group."  I know, the warning is not
ambiguous, but I was wondering if it's possible to have these
warnings refer to variable names in quotes or something similar.  It
would make this warning and maybe some others that can also have
confusing text less confusing.

If this would break a lot of tools, never mind.  Just a suggestion.

Ted