Re: User-reserved element in byte code vectors

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: User-reserved element in byte code vectors
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:04:19 -0400

    > I recommend leaving the first slot after `curry' unused.  That way it
    > could be used later to control extensions, such as a feature to
    > specify the order of curried and noncurried arguments.

    I don't think that's really necessary.

    My plan for reverse-currying was to simply use another tag, e.g. `rcurry',
    and that solution serves for other extensions too.

    Unless someone has a pretty good idea of _what_ such an extra field would be
    used for, it seems like just wasted space to add it now.

My idea is that it would say where to fit the new args around the old
args.  For instance, you might want to curry args 2 and 3.  This would
be easy if the first slot has a list saying where the curried args go.
For instance, a list of integers saying which positions to use
the curried args in.

Yes, we could use another tag to say that this feature is in use.
I think it is cleaner to consider it a part of the currying feature.
But I don't say let's implement it now, just leave the slot open.