Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: 13 May 2004 10:18:45 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> If someone comes up with an actual use for those changes (rather than just
> minor aesthetics tweaks), maybe I can buy them, but as it stands I find it
> just a waste of effort.
> Especially since experience on gnu.emacs.help seems to indicate that most
> users don't spend that much time and effort reading docstrings.
>
> The current convention is simple and safe, and as far as I can tell it's
> quite sufficient as well.  The changes discussed here seem to be about
> a new convention which is not simple, and more importantly not safe.

I kinda agree -- but _if_ we _do_ change to a new variable notation, it
should be something extensible like @var{...}, not yet-another magic
quote notation.  That at least provides a path for easier future
enhancements.

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.