Re: Mode-line customization.

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: Mode-line customization.
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:50:39 -0400

Peter Whaite <address@hidden> writes:

> I never noticed that, but I wasn't looking.  I like the idea that there
> is a modeline indicator for modified files, but I'm not convinced it
> has to be obvious.

When I'm in a source tree and tracing down an execution path, I find
it useful to know if I accidentally hit an C-x o when C-x didn't
register and the o ends up in the buffer.   It may not be useful to
you but it has made me do more than 1 revert in my day :)

> Seeing as all this is a matter of personal opinion I find CVS*1.21 ugly
> and I dont find CVS:1.21 that pretty either. My preference is CVS+1.21
> (mnemonic: additions have been made to version 1.21).

What about CVS(M):1.21?  Does that take up too much space on the
modeline for people?  I think any small difference of symbol as the
separator will have the same problem of not being noticable.

> Yeah I agree with this and with Stephan's other comments regarding
> background highlighting (well except for the rounded corners thing).

I've found it useful and not particular ugly. After having seen
multiple screenshots of people's editors, I'm pretty convinced that
no one has the same taste.

Since nothing else(?) seems to color the modeline by default in Emacs,
it should probably be some textual indicator with a customizable fg/bg.
--
Chris Green <address@hidden>
Eschew obfuscation.