Re: Gnus for next release

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus for next release
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:04:10 +0200

On Mon, May 10 2004, David Kastrup wrote:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've been talking with the Gnus developers, and it comes up that it
>> would probably be a good idea to put the current stable release of
>> Gnus into the next Emacs release.
> [...]
>> So what about it?  Sounds pretty good and safe to me (and Gnus is
>> largely a standalone part of emacs).
>
> High time.  It should have been put in at least half a year ago.

In fact we started discussing it in January (see the thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/55650).  (The
discussion started on the Gnus list.  Later it was Cc-ed to
emacs-devel, too.)

> While it missed the semi-official feature freeze, this was IMO just
> an oversight (didn't think of it myself): it is not that any mad
> rushes of last-minute fixes were what was causing this.

One reason for the Gnus developers' hesitation/delay might have been
the crypto problems which are solved now:
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/address@hidden>.
Another reason for the delay were the bootstrap problems I encountered
starting to use Miles arch repositories
(<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/21913>; Miles
suggested that merging using arch should be easier.)

I hope that we can merge Gnus 5.10 into the Emacs trunk despite of
being at little bit late.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,