Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:49:56 -0400

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 01:32:25AM +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> > So perhaps highlighting a function name will help a bit.
>
> Hmm. I don't object to changing what it does now, obviously, but I fear
> too highlighting would turn the *Help* buffer into a christmas tree. So
> let's hear what others have to say about it.

I agree[*].

I think that if the highlighted args are too noticeable, we should reduce
their highlighting, not start highlighting everything else.  Perhaps Juanma's
suggestion of changing the arg-highlighting to `bold' instead of
`font-lock-...-face' will do that.  Personally I wish we had even more subtle
methods of highlighting (e.g., an underline with very sparsely-spaced dots
instead of a solid line).

[*] Note that a *Help* buffer is very different from a source code buffer: a
    source code buffer is usually very long and full of text, and using
    colored faces helps you visually organize the mass of text more quickly,
    but a *Help* buffer is usually short and concise, and already written
    with easy readability as a goal, so excessive highlighting often just
    detracts from readability.

-Miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.