Re: compilation-highlight-duration

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: compilation-highlight-duration
Date: 06 May 2004 12:34:36 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > But currently it's not possible to highlight the source buffer
> > only in `next-error-no-select'.  Perhaps a new argument should be
> > added to `next-error' and `compilation-next-error-function'
> > indicating whether highlighting is desirable and in what fashion
> > (overlay flashing delay duration, fringe arrow, etc.)
>
> It is ok to make this more configurable, but for 21.4 (feature
> freeze!) we should limit this to a new compilation-highlight-duration
> variable that can be set to one of the following values:
>
>         0 => don't highlight
>         N > 0 => highlight for N seconds (N may be float)
>
> Any other value also means don't highlight.
>
> The remaining question is whether the default should be 0 or 0.5

The purpose of the feature freeze is not to release half-baked
stuff.  If we introduce this variable in 21.4, then it should remain
with upwards-compatible semantics also in future versions.  If we
find that this feature is likely to be replaced by something
different in future versions, we should leave it out completely for
now.

There is no point in introducing a feature that will only exist for a
single release.