Re: describe-mode's treatment of minor-modes is annoying

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: describe-mode's treatment of minor-modes is annoying
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 11:42:32 +0300

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> I too think the minor (and major!) mode info was not very visible - because
> everything was visible together, separated only by ^L. And not very easy to
> use, because users needed to know about C-].
>
> Even a horizontal bar (a la <HR> in HTML) would be a better separator
> visually than ^L.

For better visual separation, a buffer-local variable `buffer-display-table'
could be modified in the Help buffer as below:

      (aset buffer-display-table ?\f
            (vconcat (make-vector (window-width) ?-) "^L"))

It displays a horizontal bar, but still allows to move between pages
by C-x ].

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/