Re: Insert character pairs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Insert character pairs
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:20:45 -0400

    Good names, but not completely true.  Actually, this function deletes
    all the text inside the sexp out of one level of parentheses, except
    sexps selected by the argument or active region in transient-mark-mode.

The name delete-surrounding-sexp would fit that command, but
that doesn't seem like a very useful command.

I had misunderstood the previous description; I though the idea was
to delete just the parentheses, more or less the opposite of what
insert-parentheses does.  The name delete-surrounding-sexp would
not fit that at all, but raise-sexp or promote-sexp would fit it.