Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:23:34 -0500 (CDT)

I personally believe that the most logical thing would be to call the
next release "21.4".  The NEWS has always described all changes as to
be made in 21.4.  Skipping a number like "21.5" might confuse people
and make them believe that there was a "21.4" which they somehow
"missed".  If a sysadmin updates to 21.5, I am sure plenty of people
are going to believe there was a 21.4, which just never got updated
to, especially given the large amount of elapsed time.  "22.0" might
be OK, but there is the lack of a really super-significant individual
change.

   > But I don't really case if we call this 21.4, 21.5, or 22.0 -- as
   > long as we release something in 2004 !!

   Yes.

Of course, I would not really mind if it were called "21.5" either,
even though that would be my least favorite choice of the three.

Sincerely,

Luc.